Lactation consults are done in the comfort of your own home – living room, bedroom, sunroom, nursery; wherever you feel most comfortable (and in your pajamas if you like!) I offer Home Visits, and Virtual Visits using secure video technology.
As an IBCLC, I can assist with:
- Low Supply
- Slow Weight Gain
- Tongue/Lip Ties or Tethered Oral Tissues
- Painful Breastfeeding
- Nipple Damage
- Gassy/Fussy Babies
- Postpartum Mood Disorders
- Oversupply or Overactive Letdown
- Returning to Work
- Flange Sizing
- Parent and Infant Sleep
- Herbs for Lactation
- Medications and Lactation
- Adjusting to Life with a New Baby
- Tandem Breastfeeding
- Preparing to Breastfeed
I also accept payment with cash, checks, cards (including HSA) at the time of the consult if your insurance is not approved, and provide a superbill for you to file for reimbursement with your insurance. Lactation consults are covered under most insurance plans under the Affordable Care Act.
For more information on getting your lactation care covered under your insurance, visit my Resources page.
I serve the Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia areas, including the following:
Duval County, Nassau County, Clay County, St Johns County, Camden County, Glynn County, Baker County, Charlton County, Jacksonville, Orange Park, Yulee, Fernandina Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach, St Augustine, Callahan, Hilliard, Kingsland, St Marys, Folkston, Brunswick, and more.
Please note that areas within the BLUE circle are my normal travel area, and travel fees are included in the cost of your consult. The area outside the BLUE circle, but within the YELLOW circle, is my extended service area, and will incur an additional $50 travel fee. If your consult is preapproved for coverage through Lactation Network please note that this travel fee is not covered by your insurance and is due at the time of service.
What to expect at your Lactation Consult
When I visit families, above all I want them to be comfortable and relaxed. Please do not feel obligated to clean or alter your schedule in any way, other than just being awake at the time of the visit. 🙂
It’s ideal if baby has not fed just before your consult, but it’s also really difficult to work with a hangry baby, so by all means, respond to your baby’s needs.
At your consult, I will:
- Review your intake forms, personal history of mother and baby
- Conduct a brief physical exam of infant’s neck, head, shoulders, and your breasts if needed
- Observe infant’s oral and physical structures and function, check for tongue and lip ties
- Ask questions about baby’s feeding, sleep, intake, diaper output, and behavior
- Ask questions about your nutrition, sleep, and mental health
- Review how breastfeeding is going, and discuss your personal goals and needs
- Weigh your baby on a highly sensitive infant scale
- Observe an infant feeding, if possible
- Help with positioning and latch
- Help feed the baby with alternative methods/tools if needed
- Discuss breastfeeding management and solutions to any difficulties
- Review normal behaviors, and how to maintain adequate milk production
- Assist with pumping, including setting up a pump and sizing for flanges if needed
- Briefly assist with any sleep or babywearing difficulties
- Answer any questions you may have
- Work together to develop a Care Plan that works for you and your family to help you meet your goals
- Make referrals to any necessary specialists
- Compile a customized folder of helpful handouts and information for you to keep
- Leave your family feeling more empowered in your parenting, confident in your abilities, and able to focus on resolving any breastfeeding difficulties, one step at a time.
All clients will receive a yellow folder full of info to keep, and a digital Care Plan and Superbill (if needed) via email within 24 hours. With your permission, I will also send your Care Plan to your other healthcare providers (midwife/OB, pediatrician) as designated in your intake forms to facilitate continuity of care.
I’ll check on you after two days to see how you’re doing, and discuss any further changes that need to be made.
I am available via secure text/email/phone for 30 days from your consult, so you can text me with any question (or growing baby pics, or brelfies!) – it’s like having a lactation consultant in your pocket!
Virtual Consults involve working with parents as best I can through secure video chat technology. I am, of course, unable to weigh babies through the internet, but together we can often do everything else we would normally do in an in-person visit.